Skip to main content

Alcohol

Hello everyone! I hope you are doing well :). I know I said that the last post it was going to be the last one, but I have this pending topic, so here goes the last post for real.

Have you ever tried any drug of abuse? Why was it for? In this post I'm going to talk about alcohol, a drug of abuse that I have tried, which has its pros and cons, which effects in our brain and body have been and still being studied by Biochemistry, a drug that it is legal but that doesn't make it any less drug. 

I have tried alcohol in celebrations with my family. My family uses to drink alcohol in special occasions and I have tried what they are drinking in those opportunities. I have liked the flavour of the other things that are accompanying alcohol, but I don´t like the flavour of alcohol, so I prefer to drink the same that they are drinking but without alcohol or, more currently, I prefer to drink juice.

Talking about the advantages, one of the most supported benefits of alcohol for moderate drinkers (one glass a day for women and two glasses a day for men) is that reduces the risk of suffering a cardiovascular disease.

Now talking about the cons, it has negative effects if it is consumed in a high doses at once and also if currently, producing addiction and also alcohol withdrawal once stopped the consume of it. 

The negative effects on a person who has drunk a lot of alcohol could be slurred speech, vomiting, breathing difficulties, impaired judgement, decreased coordination, unconsciousness, blackouts and coma. I don't know any alcoholic, but I and maybe you too, have seen some people in this situations when they get drunk. 

Now a long term consume of alcohol leads to unintentional and intentional injuries, increased family problems, broken relationships, alcohol poisoning, high blood pressure, stroke, and other heart-related diseases, liver disease, nerve damage, sexual problems, permanent damage to the brain, vitamin B1 deficiency (which can lead to a disorder characterised by amnesia, apathy and disorientation), ulcers, gastritis, malnutrition, and mouth or throat cancer. 

If the subject has been consuming a high doses of alcohol during a long time and he or she stops drinking overnight, he or she will probably have alcohol withdrawal which is a series of symptoms due to his/her nervous system was unused to work without alcohol going around. These symptoms could go from medium intensity, such as anxiety, vomiting and shaky hands, to high intensity, such as confusion, racing heart and high blood pressure.

These are only the effects of alcohol, but they are very similar or lead to the same consequenses in the society than any drug of abuse, wich are: loss of family, violence inside and outside the house, money problems, loss of job, troubles at school, relationships problems, child abuse or neglect, crowded institutions (such as public health systems and jails), crime increase, more vehicular accidents and environmental pollution (the last one is more related to the production of methamphetamine). 

As we can see, the benefits of drinking alcohol are very few compared with all its negative effects, so make sure that you are a moderate drinker.


(...) Wine has robbed my people of their understanding.
Hosea 4:11 (New Living Translation)

Have a nice day and God bless you!

Here below you can find the wepages where a got the information for writing this blog.


http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/alcohol/short-term-long-term-effects.html
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol-full-story/#possible_health_benefits
https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/alcohol-withdrawal-symptoms-treatments#1
https://easyread.drugabuse.gov/content/effects-drugs
https://www.thecabinchiangmai.com/the-impacts-of-substance-addictions-on-society/
If you are interested in the nail design in the picture, you can find more information in the webpage: maquillame.cl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two beautiful windows... (the eyes)

Your eye is like a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is filled with light. But when your eye is unhealthy, your whole body is filled with darkness. And if the light you think you have is actually darkness, how deep that darkness is! Matthew 6:22-23New Living Translation (NLT) source Hello everyone! I hope you are doing well. The eyes are amazing to me because of the wonders they allow us to see, how beautiful they are themselves, the machinary they have and because they are a master piece of optics. They play the role of reciebing the light reflected or emitted by the objects and lead it to light-sensitive receptors that tranduce the light in electrical impulse that is processed and interpretated by our brain as images as we know them. They are located in the upper front half of our face, with the nose between them. In our skull they are ubicated in the orbit. Their size is about 24 mm of diameter and it's weigh

My favourite piece of technology

Hello everyone! I hope you are doing well :D As you already know, we are surrounded by a lot of technological devices. Many of them have become part of our daily routine. In my case, when I was born there was already a computer in my house, so my contact with electronical devices began at a very early age. Today I would like to share with you wich one has been most important in my life. It is: the radio. Even though I have always have access to computers, and they have been very useful for me, in fact, today they allow me to recibe and found a lot of information, radio is always on in my house, mainly because my mom is used to it. That makes it important. [In this picture you can see radio on it's place in my house] Radio has been in my house since I remember. It's main value for me is its function: to play music. When I was a little child my mom used to put CDs on the radio. Now, when I listen those CDs again I remember my childhood.  In fact, I&#

Our targets

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.  Galatians 6:9 New Living Translation (NLT) source Hello everyone! I hope you are doing well. Every time we start doing something it is important where we want to get with that. Tha gives us motivation and purpose. That helps us keep on efforting for our target when we are already tired or gives us a new impulse  when we remember it. Starting a carrer isn't exempt of that rule. In my case, I'm studying a major in Biochemistry because it is a carrer that could reach me out to understand better how living organisms work chemically. My drives are that I could work reaserching about living organisms that could revert enviormental problems, making science workshops at school and maybe classes. In the first situation I imagine it with a lot of work in contaminated and clean places, a lot of time in the laboratory and also looking for information